Tren Griffin stops by The Business Brew for a fun conversation about his career, investing, and life. Tren is an author of 7 books, had a front row seat to Bill Gates’ career, sold ½ of his business in the .com bubble, deeply studied Charlie Munger, and now works at Microsoft. This conversation spans Tren’s career, his advice regarding giving to get, the importance of being brave, and much more.
Detailed show notes below the Stream by Mosiac sponsor copy and thank yous.
Please leave us a rating in your favorite app store.
This episode is brought to you by Stream by Mosaic, a product that is integral to any fundamental research process. Stream has developed an extensive library of expert interviews that cover a variety of industries. StreamRG.com features over 300 expert interviews. 70% of Stream’s experts are found exclusively on StreamRG.com. Visit StreamRG.com today and use promo code BREW for a 14 day trial.
Album art photo taken by Mike Ando. Please see https://www.mikeando.com/.
Thank you to @mathewpassy (on Twitter) for the show production.
- ~6:20 – Scaling luck
- ~9:15 – Age creating humility
- ~11:30 – Coming up with a startup idea when the internet was nascent
- ~15:21 – Interesting Seattle connections lead to starting a satellite company
- ~18:00 – Giving to get
- ~26:00 – Nonlinear outcomes
- ~28:00 – The uniqueness of “you”
- ~30:00 – The power of herding and finding the tailwinds in life
- ~34:00 – Having different mentors for different things in life
- ~41:00 – The power of stories
- ~48:00 – The power of getting curious and finding interesting people
- ~52:00 – Whether Tren has any regrets from his startup
- ~1:00:00 – Taking care of yourself to avoid breaking. But also, enjoy every sandwich.
- ~1:02:30 – Feedback and making your community better
- ~1:06:30 – The importance of bravery
- ~1:09:00 – Teach your kids to be independent
- ~1:12:00 – Being brave but humble
- ~1:17:00 – Owning stocks/businesses that inspire you
- ~1:20:00 – The difference between people you work with
- ~1:25:00 – Culture
Disclaimer: Bill manages a portfolio under the name of Sullimar Capital Group. This podcast is for informational and educational purposes only. Nothing in this podcast or on SullimarCapital.Group is investment advice. All information in this is opinion based, potentially biased, and requires verification.
Bill and his guests make no representation, warranty or undertaking, express or implied, as to the accuracy, reliability, completeness or reasonableness of the information contained in these podcasts. Any assumptions, opinions and estimates expressed constitute the participant’s judgment as of the date thereof and are subject to change without notice. Any projections contained in the information are based on a number of assumptions as to market conditions and there can be no guarantee that any projected outcomes will be achieved. This podcast does not accept any liability for any direct, consequential or other loss arising from reliance on the contents of this presentation.
This podcast series DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFER TO SELL OR THE SOLICIATION OF AN OFFER TO BUY ANY SECURITIES MENTIONED OR DISCUSSED. Seek the your financial, tax, legal, accounting, or other advisor’s advice before making any investment decisions. We are not your fiduciary or advisor.