The second episode of The Business Brew features Dan McMurtrie, PM at Tyro Partners. In this episode Dan pulls back the curtain on how a true hedge fund manager thinks. He discusses:
- A tough launch (13:20)
- Pivoting from “value” investing (17:50)
- Agency costs hurting “value” investments (20:35)
- Convergent & iterative thinking (32:40)
- Risk management and buying higher (44:20)
- The dangers of the value investing inoculation (46:50)
- THE DATING PAPER (58:00)
- Being early on COVID (1:08:00)
- TINA + Liquidity Shortages + FOMO (1:22:11)
- Businesses as networks of people (1:37:45)
- The anointed companies (1:46:00)
- Inflection points and when it “gets simple” 1:54:00
- When paying more can reduce risk (2:00:00)
We are grateful to him for sharing his mind. Please enjoy the episode.
We are interested in interviewing portfolio managers, Wall Street sell side analysts, buy side analysts, private investors, owner operators, and anyone that is willing to go in depth about running a company/division. So, if you are interested in participating please email us with the subject “Guest Appearance.”
Disclaimer: Bill manages a portfolio under the name of Sullimar Capital Group. This podcast is for informational and educational purposes only. Nothing in this podcast or on SullimarCapital.Group is investment advice. All information in this is opinion based, potentially biased, and requires verification.
Bill and his guests make no representation, warranty or undertaking, express or implied, as to the accuracy, reliability, completeness or reasonableness of the information contained in these podcasts. Any assumptions, opinions and estimates expressed constitute the participant’s judgment as of the date thereof and are subject to change without notice. Any projections contained in the information are based on a number of assumptions as to market conditions and there can be no guarantee that any projected outcomes will be achieved. This podcast does not accept any liability for any direct, consequential or other loss arising from reliance on the contents of this presentation.
This podcast series DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFER TO SELL OR THE SOLICIATION OF AN OFFER TO BUY ANY SECURITIES MENTIONED OR DISCUSSED. Seek the your financial, tax, legal, accounting, or other advisor’s advice before making any investment decisions. We are not your fiduciary or advisor.